4 days desert tour from Marrakech to Fes
4 days desert tour from Marrakech. Join us on an unforgettable excursion with Berber natives and experience the desert in a way you’ve never seen before.
4 Days/3 Nights
We have customized this 4 days tour from Marrakech to Merzouga desert specifically for our travelers to enjoy the entirety of Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, beginning with the high Atlas from Marrakech, passing through Tizi n Tichka to Ouarzazate and the Anti Atlas Mountains towards the golden dunes of Merzouga, as well as the middle Atlas from Merzouga to Fes.
- Crossing through the High Atlas Mountains and the Tizi N’Tichka pass.
- Spend time in Ait Ben Haddou’s Casbah and discover the Berber village.
- Promenade along the Todra oasis’s stream to the beautiful gorges.
- Taking a camel ride across the dunes.
- Enjoy the sights of Erg Chebbi and its magnificent sunset from the back of your camel.
- Spend the night in the Merzouga desert camp after enjoying a Berber meal under the stars.
- observe barbary apes in the Middle Atlas’s cedar forest.
4 days desert tour from Marrakech itinerary
After picking you up from your hotel in Marrakesh at 8 am, we will start our 4 days desert tour from Marrakech to Fes by driving to the High Atlas or Sof Moroccan Atlas Mountains. You will pass through the Tizi N’Tichka port, where you can take pictures of the small Berber villages that blend into the landscape. You will also see panoramic views and take pictures of these villages. When we get to the ksar (fortified village) of Ait Ben Haddou, we’ll see the famous Kasbah.
Then we’ll go south and visit the famous Kasbah (declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986). It has been used in many favorite movies, like Gladiator, Obelix, The Mummy, The Jewel of the Nile, Sahara with Penélope Cruz, and a lot more. Free lunchtime in town. Then we move on to Ouarzazate, which means “noiseless or without confusion” in the Berber language.
Here, we’ll see the Taourirt kasbah, one of Morocco’s most beautiful ksars. The next place to go is the Rose Valley, a beautiful place to see more than 700,000 palm trees and a lot of kasbahs in the area. In this Valley, damascene roses are grown for rosewater, which is very valuable. The Rose Festival is held here every year in May, and it is a significant museum for Moroccan history. Finally, we arrive in the Dades valley, where we will rest for the night.
After breakfast, we’ll have one of the most spectacular views of the Dades Valley from a strategic lookout in the mountains, where we’ll be able to admire a large number of kasbahs and the picturesque features of each one. From Tinerhir, an excellent asphalt road travels up the valley to the gorge and then to the desert.
We’ll make a few stops along the road and eventually arrive in the Todra Gorges. The scenery is breathtaking. The area is populated by locals, who can be seen in their adobe villages. These gorges are popular with rock climbers because they have rock walls with a lot of different shapes. After a short walk through the Todra gorges, you’ll have some time to have lunch in Tinejdad or Touroug.
Then, we’ll keep going through the desert until we reach the spectacular dunes of Merzouga. Camel rides will take us one hour to our nomad camp in the middle of a sea of dunes. We’ll stay there until the sun comes up again tomorrow morning (Erg Chebbi). Before dinner, we’ll watch the sunset from the top of a dune and then sleep beneath a starry sky in a tent.
After breakfast, we will begin an excursion around the Erg-Chebbi dunes. We will visit several interesting places in Merzouga. We’ll stop in Khamliya village to listen to African music (Gnawa) performed by people who are originally from the south of Africa. Then we’ll continue our desert road trip to the desert behind the Erg-Chebbi dunes. We’ll visit an abandoned village to witness the functioning fossil minerals, then drive to a nomadic Berber family to learn about their lifestyle.
We’ll return to Khamliya for a delicious lunch at a nearby restaurant. We’ll take a ride to Merzouga Lake in the afternoon. If we’re lucky, we’ll find it full of water and see some birds, such as ducks and flamingos. If not, we’ll have to find it even if it’s dry because we can see camel pasture. While we’re there, we can observe and learn about local palm farms, then we will drive back ahead riad
After breakfast, we start our last day to the north, through the Tafilalet palm grove. You’ll see thousands of palm trees along the 20km of road. This way leads us to the Ziz valley, where the river comes down from the high Atlas and feeds the palm grove. Here we make a stop and, from this high viewpoint, enjoy a magnificent view of the valley and the town of Aoufous.
We make another stop in Midelt, just in the heart of the Atlas, where you’ll have free time for lunch and rest for a while. In the afternoon, we continue our way through the Cedar Woods. If we are lucky, we’ll see some monkeys. The next place we’ll visit is the city of Ifrane, situated on the northwestern slope of the Middle Atlas at 1630 meters above sea level.
Its broad avenues, its urban development with perfect cleanliness, the gardens, the green areas, and its architecture make this city look like a Swiss town, Ifrane feels misplaced in Morocco. That’s why it’s named Moroccan Switzerland, and if that’s not enough, it has an important ski resort, Michlifen. At about 6 pm, we arrive at Fez, transfer to the hotel, and end our stunning 4days desert tour from Marrakech.
know before you go
- The cost of the tour is based on the number of people in your group and the kind of accommodation you stay in during the trip.
- The drive back from Erg Chebbi to Marrakech on the last day is somewhat lengthy. Please prepare yourselves for it.
- A 4×4 vehicle can easily seat up to four adult guests. However, if your tour has more than five individuals, a van will be used.
- Local guides and (if applicable) entrance fees are not included. You make direct payments to suppliers for those.
- The pick-up time for your 4 days desert tour from Marrakech is negotiable. Between 07:30 and 08:00 AM is the best time.
- The 3 days tour itinerary can be customized to be a 4 days desert tour from Marrakech to Merzouga with an additional night at Erg Chebbi, or halfway between Merzouga and Marrakech.